Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Schwimmer Field, Port Moresby




I've just received this message from one Bruce Buchan regarding the WW11 14-Mile Drome, Schwimmer Field, and am posting the pictures that he send. Above is an article I write regarding Port Moresby's fascinating WW11 history, including Schwimmer Field.


"Dear Sir,I am interested in locating the 13th Bomb Squadron USAAF Honour Roll at 14 mile drome, Schwimmer Field, that was erected by the unit in honour to the airmen that were killed in the war.
" I have attached photos of it and the of the airstripo as it was and is today.
"Have you ever located this memorial.
"Probably made of concrete with a flag pole in the middle?
"I believe that a Mr Henry Mayer may have also searched this air field however I am unable to locate his direct email address.
"Any information would assist."

No comments:

Post a Comment