Wednesday, December 30, 2009

So what do we call this decade?

I just realised that the decade has almost ended and there is still not really a name for it. You have the 80s and the 90s. What in the world do you call the years between 2000 – 2010? 00s sounds silly. Or I guess you could also call it the “double-Os,” still ridiculous.

I read that some people are calling it “the aughts” or the “aughties.” Ummm…nice try, but that sounds worse than 00s. Your attempt to be cutesy with it is actually more of a failure than anything else.

Me? I usually call it the 2000s. Simple, truthful, and people can understand what I years I am referring to. However, when you get to the year 2011 and beyond, and you are calling 2000 – 2010 the 2000s, then what do you call the rest of the years?

It is a debate that is not going to alter anyone’s life, but it’s still an interesting one to think about. What do you think we should call this decade?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment